Sunday, February 6, 2011

Recaping Week 2

So this week classes began. Prepare yourselves for a lengthy and mouthwatering entry. My biggest regret is that I didn't carry my camera with me EVERYWHERE i went. I soon started to learn that this is a necessity.

My first day of class was the best one EVER- I will never again have a bad case of the Mondays (until I leave this wonderful place, of course). I start the day at 12:30, when I begin my Mediterranean cooking class. Since it was the first day of class, we didn't cook anything, but instead took a tour of the local market to get familiar with the ingredients. Eggs so fresh, they still got some feathers on them!! haha not really- but kinda:
Many of my classmates marveled at the fact that I'm already friendly with some of the vendors :) THENNNN for the grand finale, I walk over to my "everything chocolate" class. By far the most amazing class I've ever chosen in MY LIFEE!!! The teacher is fantastic- legit chef who speaks very broken English :) and of course, we tasted several chocolates and learned to make hot chocolate- a big deal here in Florence- no easy packets to put in hot water.

Tuesdays I only learn Italian, and Wednesday is my photography class. Hopefully this will help me bring better pics for the blog. This day is when I realized my camera will have to come with me everywhere I go.

Thursday is my wine appreciation class! The first day I felt like a lost puppy. So many things to know, and I didnt know any of them!!!
The first wine we tasted was a soft Rose by the name of Santa Cristina, vintage 2009.
It had a floral, rosy, smell and tasted sour (aka fresh). It would go very nicely with light fish and olives for an aperitivo. Or so I was told haha.

The second wine was white: Campogrande, 2009 from Santa Cristina in Umbria. It was a greenish yellow, fruity and sweet aroma (green apple perhaps?) and tasted acidic and balanced. Would go great with some cheese or maybe some salmon. Again, or so I'm told:

Later that day, I was inspired to make something yummy for lunch with my leftover chicken... I settled on chicken parm- the easier thing I know how to make well :) First I gotta show you the unfinished product, since the breaded chicken came out just o-so-good and browned!!!
And of course, the finished masterpiece yummmm:

Later that night, a bunch of the girls were craving a taste from home so we went to the most authentic Mexican restaurant we could find- Tijuana!! Of course, we all ordered margaritas of every color and flavor.

After such a delicious meal, you'd think us girls would be ready for a good nights sleep. Of course not. A few of us decided to partake in a adventure to find one of the most talked about chocolate shops in Florence: Hemingway- located on the other side of the river. It was quite a trek but we finally found it! Hot chocolate and coffees of every variety, with different liquors added if you wish, topped with cream or not, and if anything is ordered the "hemingway" way, served with a chocolate spoon to stir! Cakes, muffins, tarts, and chocolate covered EVERYTHING. It was just heaven. And all the locals sitting around in the most intimate of setting. Love was truly in the air :)

Friday morning, I ventured out to the chocolate festival. Yes, you read correctly, a festival just for chocolate, where talented chocolatiers from around Italy came to showcase their skills. Every shape and color, infused with every fruit, plant, herb, or liqour- the possibilities were endless. To say I was overwhelmed with joy would be an understatement.  (jams of every flavor)
(infused chocolate bars)
(Pretty bottles of lemoncello- idea for aba!!)

I think I'm finished now- Ciao amicos!!!!


2 comments:

  1. Loved it!!!
    I'll try to implement the limoncello idea ;-)
    Keep writing!!!!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. soy tu bobe estas en el paraiso? disfruta todo es una experiencia maravillosa y mientras mandas fotos y mails yo tambien aprendo y disfruto un beso hasta la proxima clase

    ReplyDelete